Harnessing the natural power of enzymes to effectively eliminate stains and odours
When it comes to household and personal care products, we’ve long been advocates of combining time-honoured botanicals and plant-based science with contemporary research to create effective formulas that are gentle on the environment and safe for every member of your household. Enzymatic cleaners have been gaining traction for their impressive ability to cleanse clothing and surfaces, but what exactly is an enzyme and how does it work?
What are enzymes and how do enzymatic cleaners work?
Plant-based enzymes are proteins that act as biological catalysts to speed up chemical reactions.
In the case of enzymatic cleaners, these chemical reactions are geared towards breaking down certain molecules (such as wastes, stains, soils, and odours) into smaller particles, leaving behind two basic compounds: carbon dioxide and water. Enzymatic cleaners are able to effortlessly penetrate the fibres of clothing, upholstery, and carpet, making them a natural choice for removing stains from porous garments and surfaces.
There are over a thousand types of enzymes, however, a select few are best geared towards cleaning. With that in mind, it’s essential to check the ingredient label of your enzymatic cleanser. Not all formulas are created equally; with many enzymatic cleansers only up to tackling certain stains and odours.
How do our Natural Laundry Wash and Natural Laundry Delicate Wash work?
Both our Natural Laundry Wash (in both lemon scented eucalyptus & rosemary and mandarin & peppermint) and our new Natural Laundry Delicate Wash (intended for use on fabrics such as silk, lace, satin, chiffon, and pure wool) contain five powerful plant-based enzymes, carefully selected for their ability to remove a wide array of stains, messes, and odours.
These enzymes — amylase, lipase, pectate lyase, protease, and mannanase — work in tandem with the antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibacterial properties of pure botanical essential oils to ensure your garments are thoroughly cleansed and gently scented.
The ultra-concentrated nature of our Natural Laundry Wash and Natural Laundry Delicate Wash means that just two capfuls (10mls) are all it takes to effectively tackle an entire load of washing. Here’s how each ingredient in our laundry washes works to ensure a gentle yet efficacious clean.
- Amylase: used to break down starch into sugars (which are then digested by ‘good’ bacteria), amylase is effective at tackling stains from products like tomato sauce, chocolate syrup, baby food, and mustard.
- Lipase: targets stains containing oils and fats by dissolving lipid molecules, making it useful for marks left behind from lipstick, sweat, grease, and cooking oils.
- Pectate lyase: this targets stains containing the polysaccharide pectin, which is found in ripe fruits, wine, fruit jams, and berries.
- Protease: removes protein-based stains such as blood, meat, urine, grass, baby formula, and egg.
- Mannanase: works to break down conventional food stains, like those from ice cream, coffee, soup, and flavoured milk.
Surfactants — which means ‘surface active agent’ — such as glucosides help trap impurities and lift them off surfaces, making them an apt addition to many cleaning products. They’re also responsible for the light foaming action you see when handwashing your garments using our non-toxic laundry washes.
As with all our ingredients, the surfactants in our Natural Laundry Wash and Natural Laundry Delicate Wash are derived from plant-based sources like coconut and sugar, and are selected for both their efficacious cleaning properties and gentleness on the skin; the latter property makes our formula a go-to for those with skin types prone to sensitivities or irritation.
The cornerstone of all our formulas, pure botanical essential oils work synergistically with the enzymes and surfactants in our Natural Laundry Wash and our Natural Laundry Delicate Wash to ensure a thorough clean and impart a beautiful sensory experience with every wash.
With our Natural Laundry Wash available in Mandarin & Peppermint or Lemon Scented Eucalyptus & Rosemary, there’s a formula for every mood. Meanwhile, native rosalina takes centre stage in our Natural Laundry Delicate Wash, imparting a fresh lavender scent as gentle as the formula it sits in.
- Mandarin: joyful and uplifting, mandarin is a familiar scent in many Australian households. Evocative of a quiet sense of contentment and calm, mandarin boasts antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties, complementing the refreshing scent of peppermint in our Natural Laundry Wash.
- Peppermint: akin to a sensory rebirth, peppermint is an invigorating and revitalising scent. Like mandarin, it’s antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal, as well as possesses insect-repellant properties.
- Lemon-Scented Eucalyptus: vibrant and zesty, the fresh, creamy, lemony scent of Lemon Scented Eucalyptus is the ideal complement to the herbaceous, woody notes of rosemary. Not just a pretty smell, its antiseptic and antifungal properties make it the perfect addition to our Natural Laundry Wash.
- Rosemary: in addition to its antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties, rosemary is a circulatory and mental stimulant, with its woody and herbaceous aroma working to relieve stress and enhance cognition with every breath.
- Rosalina: the star of our Natural Laundry Delicate Wash, antibacterial and antifungal rosalina strikes the ideal balance between calming and energising, suffusing delicate garments with the subtle scent of the Australian bushland.