On International Bee Day, here are a few tips for growing your own Bee Garden.
- Select native plants that flower right through the year. Banksia, Callistemon and Melaleuca are all fantastic plant groups because they produce lots of pollen and nectar.
- Select flowers with a variety of colours and shapes.
- Avoid insecticides in your garden. If you must use them try, use low tox bee friendly ones and spray when bees are not active – cold or sleeping.
- Plant a patch of wildflowers. Bees are drawn to native plants and wildflowers, which often produce more pollen and nectar than modern, hybridized flowers.
- Offer water. Bees need drinking water. They’ll visit a shallow birdbath or other water feature.
More Nature, Feel Better.